Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Moments

There are significant moments, no matter big or small, that will stay with you for the rest of your life. These moments will shape the person that you become, and may change your beliefs in others. It is during these significant moments that will either break or make the bonds of friendship. My significant moment was the death of my father. For those that know me, this loss was probably one if the hardest things that I will ever go through. I will never in my life forget the friends who were there with me. The ones who sat with me on our back porch while I took shot after shot of vodka... (thanks Patrick with your airline appropriate bottles). The ones who didn't make me feel like a lush for drinking vodka at the post funeral gathering (Kari). The ones who held my hair and didn't judge me as I threw it all up (Adam Wade). The ones who brought me cupcakes for breakfast on more than one occasion (Brandi), and especially the ones who to this day, still check on me (Daniele). What's ironic is the fact that during these trivial moments of life, certain people step up as friends who didn't have to. People who haven't known you, or your family your entire life sometimes end up being the friends that you need the most. It is during these moments that will show you who you need in your life, and who you do not. I try my hardest not to be bitter towards others who may not know how to act in certain situations, but this is becoming difficult for me. It is hard for me to put on a happy face and talk about normal things with friends I haven't heard from since my Dad's funeral. Friends who didn't bother to acknowledge the fact that they were thinking about my family during the holidays. Friends who still to this day have not called, text messaged, emailed, anything just to check on me. I understand that death is difficult to talk about, but ignoring the elephant in the room, over a friend who really could have used the support, is not the right thing to do. I can only hope that I will be a better friend when someone needs me. Thank you to those who have stepped up. Thank you for your encouraging messages, words, love, and friendship. Thank you to the two Kellys and Ginny who made me feel "normal" by sharing their stories of their own personal losses. Thank you to Kim who always understands me. Thank you to Joanna who wrote my Dad the nicest message. He talked about your email for days Jo. Thank you to Daniele who has stepped up as my best friend when I needed one the most. Thank you to Abbo and Lew who wore cancer bracelets for my Daddy, and who love me even though I'm not a Marine. Thank you to everyone else who has been patient, loving, and caring towards me. Although the death if my father is something I will remember most about 2010, I will also never forget the friends who stood by me the entire time.


Sincerely,
Bailey Ann